© 2008 -- 2011 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic. All rights reserved.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What Wonderful Ears

I was editing an article about yeast infections in dogs and found the following passage in the section about symptoms. In all fairness to the writer, she was rushed, and this was a rewrite, but still...

You may notice your dog scratching his ear or rubbing it on the floor or on a piece of furniture. That's a sign that he may have a yeast infection. You should check his ears for these signs: (2)

• Brown, yellow or bloody discharge that has a strong odor
• Redness or swelling
• Crusted skin on the near ear flap
• Loss of hair around the ear
• Head shaking or tilting
• Loss of balance
• Loss of hearing
• Walking in circles
• Unusual eye movements

*********************

I suppose you could tell if the dog was walking in circles by watching its ears. And even the head shaking and tilting might be evident. But the unusual eye movements? I'm going to be watching my dog's ears this evening. I'll tell you later what they say about her eyes.

7 comments:

  1. I'll be watching my dogs eyes too.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, your job has hiddden blessings...

    Where else could you find such humour?

    In a pigs eye? Nay
    It's a dog's ear I say...

    Peace ~ Rene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I got a good laugh out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to your blog, and ever so respectful of the role of editor and of grandparents, grandfathers in particular. I'm married to one, grandfather that is, not editor.

    I wouldn't mind an on hand editor most of the time. My own editorial skills are lacking.

    It's good to meet you.

    ReplyDelete