© 2008 -- 2011 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic. All rights reserved.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Song of the Cuckoo

Listen to the cuckoo coming after the doves,
Mocking their cooing, mocking their cooing
With its strange double note.

Listen to the cuckoo mocking the cooing doves
While the owl turns her head
And the hawk falls on its prey
And the gull sails above the ash.

The cuckoo is a clown
That sings of love
Gone foul.

Cuckoo, cuckoo.
And the owl
Turns her head,
And the doves fly away,
But the cuckoo has found
A place to stay.

No other birds sing quite the same;
No other birds claim,
Cuckoo, cuckoo.
Who?
Says the owl.
Cuckoo. Cuckoo.


Originally published in A Matter of Mind, Foothills Publishing, 2004.
© copyright 2004, 2009 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic Blog.
All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Grandpa! Its been such a long time. I feel awfully cukoo myself, if you want to know the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cuckoo is a clown
    That sings of love
    Gone foul...

    Ohh, I LIKE THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love gone "fowl."

    Nice to see this poetic post.
    Aloha-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the read Grandpa.


    Ps: Gran Speaks sent me over. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am cuckoo for this poem. :-)

    I will read it again and play bird songs from this site on another window:

    http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=cuculidae

    Happy Sunday, Grandpa! Please post more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, a new poem! We've missed these...

    For a while, we had a mockingbird that would sing outside our bedroom window every morning. I loved that -- a whole symphony of birds, from one little guy just singing his heart out every morning...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grandpa! I'm moving my show to wordpress! Come check me out at

    http://struckbyserendipity.wordpress.com/

    PLEASE DELETE THIS COMMENT after you update your reader!

    Thanks!

    The blogger formerly known as Ms. Florida Transplant :)

    ReplyDelete