© 2008 -- 2011 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic. All rights reserved.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Bather


(Exodus 2.5)

unmilked breasts glisten
delicate oil-coated skin
the daughter of kings

the noon sun dances
from shoulder to gold-chained neck
as girls wrap her hair

take away her robe
watch her glide to the river
and bathe in waters

satiate with death
a basket hidden near shore
is best left unfound


Originally published in The Columbus Dispatch, 1980.
© copyright 2004, 2009 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic Blog.
All rights reserved

This poem appeared in the same article in the Dispatch that Zipporah did.

9 comments:

  1. I was thinking "hmmm" this sounds like it has something to do with Moses, and then I went to click on "Commment" and saw Moses just below. So I am hoping this poem is about Moses in the basket.

    Do you watch Jeopardy? It just seems to me, that it is a show you would watch. I record it on my DVR so I can watch it at night. I think it is a good idea to challenge my brain as much as possible.

    I also get a funny feeling that you would like the diary of Professor Humperdink III website. The link is on my website. Some pretty interesting stories there and I like the "words" that are used.

    Thank you for "following" my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful. It's very mysterious and cryptic to me. I like it. It's so deep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandpa, you were in a Biblical mode in 1980. This one is beautiful. What a change of events, had she not found that basket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful.

    I was thinking "Where's Your Moses Now?" after I read this.

    I like the way you paint a picture with your words.

    Peace - Rene

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was oddly beautiful, wasn't it?!
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicee..
    I liked this beauty. Keep it up Gramps.
    I'll visit u again.
    AB :-)

    ReplyDelete