© 2008 -- 2011 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic. All rights reserved.

Monday, July 20, 2009

a rather disjointed post

My favorite NPR (National Public Radio) program is This American Life. Sunday night I was listening to it -- I know, I should have been on the blog reading all of your fantastic posts, but it was This American Life -- which is a collection of stories and this week's topic was fear of sleep.


The first story was about sleep walking and doing things when you did that could kill you. It happened to Mike Birbiglia, a comedian who told the story at a club called The Moth. You can access the club Web site here.

It would be worth your time to spend some of it on both of the sites linked above. But that's not what this post is about. Ira Glass, the host of This American Life, does very insightful commentary about the stories and the story tellers. When Birbiglia's story ended he gave background on the comedian and the club and concluded with the statement "Catch him before he becomes too famous." So I'm sharing him with you. But that's still not the point.

I've met a lot of people in the Blogosphere. And I've made a lot of friends. And I watch them become more and more famous. And they still say "hey" to me. That's good. The Blogosphere is a place to catch people before they become too famous. That's the point. I'm glad I'm here. because I'm glad you're here.

8 comments:

  1. It's good that you keep an eye on my blog then, because someday I'll be up there. And write and star in some screenplay all about a mysterious "Word Mechanic." It will win hundreds of Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm here because being here means I meet people like you...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellow, I am mariana, congratulations for your post.
    I have been browsing your blog and found it really interesting, I came here through a common blogging friend.
    Thanks for sharing the stories I liked specially the second part.
    Because I have my favourite radio, podcast downloader, which is not going to be easy to overcome, it is called all in the mind, is from a radio in australia.
    I will see you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come here for the free coffee and delicious pastries...

    What? Doesn't everyone get those?

    Grandpa we love ya and your advice and support has helped me tremendously !

    Peace - Rene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attend because I like your red pen ;-) oh and what Braja said

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I think I'll follow your blog more assiduously from now on to catch the odd Hi when you are famous. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have to worry about ever being famous. Don't want to be either. Way too much work then. I've got to have my boating time.

    Have terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad I am here too :)

    ReplyDelete