© 2008 -- 2011 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic. All rights reserved.

Monday, December 8, 2008

A regifting that works

Sarah at Sarah Laurence Blog is hosting a book boost at her site (see the spotlight post). and lots of bloggers are posting their recommendations for books that make good gifts this holiday. For instance, Bee at Bee Drunken posted her list this morning, and Just a plane Ride Away posted her list on Sunday. If you're stumped about what gift to get someone this holiday season, you'll have plenty of ideas if all you do is check those three sites. (You may even find some additions for your own wish list.)

We have thousands of books. I call them our wealth. But because S buys and I buy, and we both came into the relationship with our own library, we have lots of books that one or the other of us hasn't read.

A few years ago (I know, this isn't exactly within the guidelines for Book Boost, but it is another gift idea), S and I wanted to scale back how much we were spending at Christmas. The whole gifting thing had gotten out of hand and Christmas had become too commercial for our liking. (Actually we were watching our pennies because of some weird things happening in our employment arenas.) So we each went through our books and chose 15 to 20 books we wanted to "give" to one another. We included notes that we tucked into each book before we wrapped it that explained why we thought it made a good gift for the other. Then we wrapped them and put them under the tree and had a grand Christmas morning filled with surprise.

15 comments:

  1. I love this idea! and the note thing is very romantic. DH and I are going to have to get creative this year too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa..I swoon..this is such a lovely and personal way to exchange gifts and right up my alley.

    You can shower me with diamonds and you'll have my attention but if you sprinkle me with love notes you'll have my heart.

    Kinda corny, but I mean it !! :)

    Peace - Rene

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea. Are you book-lovers with similar tastes?

    One of my favorite Anne Fadiman essays (found in Ex Libris is about the effort to marry her book collection with her new husband's. It is a must-read for any two spouses with serious book collections!

    Thank you for joining us on the Book Boost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Mr. T and I aren't doing presents this year either. Mostly because we're going to Mexico in January to get married, and it's expensive to travel. Plus, with the economy, I'd rather we spend the money on friends and family then each other. But I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links. The way you gifted your books with each other is a lovley idea. My best present I once got from my partner: One early afternoon he drove me to a great used book store, left me there and told me he would pick me up just before closing - I could choose whatever books I wanted - He would pay for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that...the thoughtfulness that would have gone into choosing which of "your" books to gift another, that had to be some kinda special..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. I too am overwhelmed with the commercialization of the holidays. I try very hard to put more thought than money into my gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea. Christmas has got so commercial, it is nice to do something more meaningful and less expensive. Thanks for the links and the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this. Now, if I could just get my husband to READ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I just LOVE books as gifts! Of course, I just tend to love books for any reason...

    A shiv? What exactly are you up to these days, Gramps? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grandpa - what a lovely Christmas gift. I personally think gifts like that are the best because they are MEANINGFUL. Just love the idea - it's the first I have ever heard of it and its way better and more thoughtful than going into a shop and buying something that someone doesnt even want and which required no more effort than to open your wallet. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a lovely idea! The little notes tucked into each book is such a thoughtful touch. Every now and then I'll find a little note or drawing from my daughter that I've tucked away in a book years ago. It's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Grandpa, that is the sweetest story and perfect for these hard times. I'm calling this a blogger book boost post and linking to it from mine. It's the spirit of giving that matters more than the gift. I'm teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete