© 2008 -- 2011 the Grandpa at The Word Mechanic. All rights reserved.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dona Nobis Pacem



I wish I'd found this sooner. Dona Nobis Pacem. I used to sing this when I was in the fourth grade. Not just on Sundays, but through the week. Even though I left the church, it is still my mantra. Let's sign the whole world up to this.

In my post on Blog Action Day, I mentioned a series of articles in the online magazine On Call dealing with healthcare for the homeless. They just published the fourth article in the series. The article by Janet Cromer describes the Street Team in Boston that goes out and finds homeless individuals who aren't in shelters and arranges for them to get the needed healthcare. There is also a photo gallery with the article showing two members of the team working with various individuals. On this day of Dona Nobis Pacem, I think the article is worth a look.

13 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree! Isn't it nice to air one's wide-eyed optimist self (and put the grumpy cynic in the closet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Bee. If only we could find a way to leave it in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this as a song!!

    "Make me a channel of your peace", St. Francis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it great if we could know world peace in our time?

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dona Nobis Pacem :)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha Peace to you, Grandma, and your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peace to you also, Grandpa.

    My agency provides long-term case management and therapy to homeless and formerly homeless persons. Our wonderful outreach workers see them first. I have been honored to work with Healthcare for the Homeless since I've been in Seattle (eight years), and am in awe of their clinical skills. Outreach is an art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great web site! Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outreach is an art, Gran. I admire people who do this kind of work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find that the hardest part about living in the city has been the way people ignore the homeless. People are not terrible, but the problem is just too big. Yet, the other day I saw a man approach a homeless man and give him dinner. I think that our true nature can be found in those tiny gestures of good will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your peace globe today. You are #1435 in the official Peace Globe Gallery. Thank you for participating and directing readers to the link you mentioned. I do hope the whole world joins in - one blog at a time.

    Peace to you and yours,
    Mimi

    And Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete